OZ ATV :: The Australian ATV Forum Forum Index OZ ATV :: The Australian ATV Forum
Australia's Largest ATV Forum

CONDITIONAL REGISTRATION IN QLD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic Reply to topic OZ ATV :: The Australian ATV Forum Forum Index -> QLD ATV Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic
Dino
The Day Starts With OZATV !

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:58 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You would be referring to Q17, on the new form amended Aug 2010, Predatory?
Not very nice of TMR to slip that in andI'm guessing that the letter they sent to currently registered quad owners covers that little detail for them.
Now that they've been caught out, the Govt parties involved have been scrambling to cover their collective shiney bums.
Nothing liken a threat of class action, eh? eek
And that is why a bit of a push for change is building momentum....
http://www.ozatv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15508
Whether you ask for your CTP money back and can your ideas of participating in the ADBA events OR get the appropiate stuff from the organisers, do the events and then can the rego OR something else, is entirely up to you.
Like I've said previously, discriminatory policies and a now farcical system.

Sponsor
Predatory
4fiddy Racer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:40 pm Post subject: Conditional rego Reply with quote Back to top

Dino, you have no idea how much restraint it took, to walk camly away. People who know me would never have believed what they were seeing.
I hear you about change mate, but when? I want this to happen in this life time!
Can the local member for my area contribute?

Dino

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:57 pm Post subject: Re: Conditional rego Reply with quote Back to top

Predatory wrote:
Dino, you have no idea how much restraint it took, to walk camly away. People who know me would never have believed what they were seeing.
I hear you about change mate, but when? I want this to happen in this life time!
Can the local member for my area contribute?

I hear you. I've been a bit livid myself about this whole fiasco.
One of the biggest problems is that the issue of responsibility is just passed around amongst the various depts. Evil or Very Mad
The start of the change process this year got knocked around a bit by the floods and cyclones, but the start of it is proving the system does not work.
Your experience is yet another example of that required proof.
And yes, your local member should know about it.

Predatory
4fiddy Racer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:41 pm Post subject: Response from the government Reply with quote Back to top

Sent: Thursday, 10 March 2011 8:29 AM
To: Cleveland Electorate Office
Subject: FW: The plight of Trailbike & Quad bike riders in Queensland

Good Morning

Please find below a response to the issues raised by Mr Maxted. Let me know if you need anything further.

Standard Registration requirements

∑ The Department of Transport and Main Roads requires any vehicle that is used on a road to be registered. This would require the vehicle to meet the appropriate registration requirements such as vehicle design/construction compliance, compulsory third party insurance coverage and payment of registration fees.

∑ Transport Legislation has no jurisdiction to impose requirements on vehicles or drivers that do not operate vehicles on roads. If an operator of a trail bike or quad bike does not intend to use a vehicle on a road, then it would not be required to be registered.

Conditional Registration Scheme

∑ Off-road trail bikes that do not comply with the standard regulations for registration which have a genuine need to access the road network may be registered under the conditional registration scheme.

∑ The conditional registration scheme commenced on 1 May 2003. This scheme was introduced to allow vehicles that do not comply with standard requirements for registration but required access to roads, to be eligible for restricted conditional registration. Conditional registration also provides the benefit of compulsory third party insurance in the event of a crash occurring on a road causing personal injury. Quad bikes are non-standard vehicles and may only be conditionally registered.

∑ All vehicles registered under conditional registration are restricted to specific conditions for use and must operate according to the conditions which are detailed in the Guideline for Conditionally Registered Vehicles in Queensland form number 17. A copy of the guideline is available from the department's website www.tmr.qld.gov.au. Conditions for use are issued to non-standard vehicles to ensure the vehicleís safe operation on a road.

∑ As some non-complying vehicles such as off-road trail bikes and quad bikes only have to meet very minimal vehicle safety standards (compared to complying vehicles) while on a road, operating conditions must be imposed. These conditions may include restrictions to the operator, vehicle operation and limited road access.

∑ A conditionally registered trail or quad bike can only access certain areas with authorisation. Prior to conditionally registering trail and quad bikes, operators must provide the department with an authorisation from the land owner or area where the vehicle is initially intended to be used. A police permit may also be required. This requirement helps to ensure that operators have a clear understanding of where they may safely operate their vehicles.

∑ All vehicles that comply with normal registration requirements are not eligible for conditional registration.

Access to areas of State forest

1.An operator of a standard registered trail bike may access roads in areas of State forest. Operators must be licensed and must comply with Queensland Road Rules, obey signs or notices directing where they must go.

2.Being conditionally registered does not always make the use of that vehicle in a park or forest legal. Access is subject to approval from the land manager and Queensland Police Service.

Information about the use of conditionally registered vehicles on parks and forests is available from the Department of Environment and Resource Management website www.derm.qld.gov.au. Operators must also be licensed and comply with Queensland Road Rules, obey signs or notices directing where they must go.

∑ The department notes Mr Maxtedís thoughtful interest and suggestions in relation to an alternative registration scheme to allow off-road trail bikes and quad bikes to access state forests. However, as the conditional registration scheme allows limited road access to areas of State forests, subject to approval from the land manager and Queensland Police Service, there are no plans to introduce an alternative registration scheme for off-road trail and quad bikes.

Trail bike riding/where to ride

∑ It is also acknowledge that it is becoming increasingly difficult to find authorised off-road motorcycling areas where operators can legally ride. To help address this issue the Department of Communities is leading a Trail bike Taskforce to look at issues around the sport.

∑ In November 2009, the State Government announced that a site at Wyaralong, near Beaudesert, has been identified as a preferred site for the establishment of a regional trail bike facility. This facility will offer a safe and legal site for the 230,000 trail bike riders across SEQ. This facility is likely to be opened later this year. There is no intention to exclude quad bikes.

∑ The Wyaralong Regional Trail Bike Facility Master Plan was released on 20 February 2011 and information about this facility is available on the following website:
http://www.seqtrailbikes.qld.gov.au/Pages/Wyaralong.aspx.

∑ There are a number of safe and legal areas to ride trial bikes in South East Queensland. Information about riding trail bikes safely in Queensland, including commercial recreation park locations is available on the following website: www.sportrec.qld.gov.au

∑ Further information and enquiries about the Wyaralong facility and where to ride off-road trail and quad bikes in South East Queensland should be directed to the Department of Communities, Sports and Recreation Services on (07) 3237 9833 or email sportrec@communities.qld.gov.au.

Office of the Hon. Annastacia Palaszczuk MP
Minister for Transport & Multicultural Affairs

Refering to para 1 & 2, note how the issue of legallity changes from normal rego to conditional rego. A normal registered trail bike does not have to seek permission to ride in the state forest whereas a conditionally registered trail bike does. The physical difference between a normal registered trail bike and a conditionally registered trail bike, would commonly be Head & Tail light, indicators, a review mirror and a Horn, all of which could quite easily be fitted as required. So why was this question very neatly sidestepped????? This is exactly how the B Class rego in WA works. And it applies to quads!
I will be more specific in asking why this recommendation cannot be considered!!!!!

The Jackal
Blaster class

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:48 am Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Mate standard government waffle and bulls**t. They will never give you a straight answer coz the subject is too hard. If you ask them a question they answer with a cut and paste from all the info you can already find online... They are idiots...
Icom handheld UHF CB
3000lb winch
Koplin rifle rack
IPL tank bag

Queenslander is a religion. If you're not getting dirty, you're not riding hard enough.

dingo tim
50cc nipper

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:47 am Post subject: Conditional rego policy change, where we are up to Reply with quote Back to top

HI All,

We have finally got all our info regarding conditional quad rego in Qld
posted up on our club website. Basically Qld conditional rego for Quads and UTV's is unworkable for the private individual and incorporated clubs,
as is the case pretty much in most other states. A couple of tour operators have had some limited success at organising Cape Tours, however due to the rego difficulties it looks like only one tour will happen this year and that's from a multi state operator!

http://fnquadriders.com.au/rego/index.html

The idea with the info on our rego page is to illuminate state
government MP's of the Qld systems shortfalls, economic opportunities
missed, with our ideas and proposals on a solution.

Our letter to Mr Couch, a senior Qld.trans manager, shows that we have
undertaken due process very seriously to find the shortfalls in the Qld
system. This open (unsent) letter also illustrates the arrogant attitude
that we have bean trying to deal with that is "the norm" within our
transport departments methodology regarding it's customer base, us the
tax paying voting public. We feel that due to Mr Couches attitude
towards us we have exhausted due process and negotiation so are now
taking our issues to our MP's for direct intervention. So far the Qld
shadow cabinet has taken our proposal seriously enough to have their
shadow transport minister look into the concept.

On a national front we hope to gain further traction across the country so that other state Quadders can start a similar process in their states (Tassy is way ahead as is WA and SA are building up steam), so please help spread the word. Qld currently are the custodians of the National transport Authority, so we have been informed. If we can get a similar interim licensing/rego scheme to our RT 01 across several states we are well on the way to state consensus towards a more permanent license rego system for Quads. This way it may take a little less than the 25 years it took to get the Heavy national licesning system sorted, to get Quads sorted!
The new NSW government has already dictated to NSW.Transport to adjust its arrogant attitude towards it's customers (interesting times and
opportunities for NSW Quadders).

Our club's aim is to encourage our adventure sport in a safe, enjoyable
and sustainable manner. Our region in Far North Qld has many areas as well as the Cape for Quads to enjoy an adventure holiday either as part of an organised tour or downloading a destination track route from our clubs website. This is part of our long term plan, until rego is sorted
we will keep track route info within our club. It is sensitive due to land access permission (NParks) being unobtainable without rego. Our NParks have been very co-operative with access but have their hands tied due to the rego issues.

As soon as we have the E petition up and running we plan on sending out to Quad retailers, posters with links to our website for info to lobby your local State MP and a link to the E petition. Anyone able to help with funding the posters or help with distribution please drop me an Email.

Thanks,
Tim Forsyth,
tim@dingoseatcovers.com.au
www.fnquadriders.com

Dino

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I got my long awaited reply from my local minister. Different district and MP than Predatatory's, and almost word for word the same.
And as far as I am concerned, this labour Government can go jump.
Lazy, un-cooperative, and arrogant. ENOUGH!
The LNP has my vote, because they could not be any worse.

dingo tim
50cc nipper

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:16 am Post subject: Don't get angry get even! Reply with quote Back to top

Hi All,
Both Predatory and Dino have received the standard and expected Government minister response "we don't have any idea what your talking about oh and don't really care" type of response, and from my jaded understanding it's pretty much a normal GIVEN from this government.

My idea on how to deal with this is simple enough, we rate our MP's response publicly, from totally inadequate to excellent.

And that rating is irrelevant to what the PM's decide but is rated on how much they look into the problem and try to find an understanding and solutions. How to judge this is fairly easy by their letter of reply which as you can see Predatory's and Dino's are standard fob off's.
To the positive response that I got from my MP, "Tim can we meet up as I need a better understanding of your issues" and from that Shane Knuth is championing our cause and currently his office is working with me to start an E petition.
I, as the ringleader or Principle (thats Gov speak) would expect to be contacted by the MP's office for some clarification of the issues and complexities that would be understandable from a non Quadder after reading what is posted on FNQuadriders Inc. Only my MP has contacted me to-date for clarification.

So Everyone write to your MP, lets collate positive/negative MP data, publish it. Do the E partition. And exercise our democratic right of a public response, if it embarrasses MP's well that's democracy working, to bad.

And have a great day in the Queensland sunshine! (it's wet and cold up here)
Dingo.
www.fnquadriders.com

Predatory
4fiddy Racer

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:14 pm Post subject: Conditional Rego Reply with quote Back to top

I have also submitted scanned copies of the Western Australian Department of Infrastructure & Planning's documentation regarding "B-Class" Rego to my MP for them to pass it on to the Honorable Minister for perusal with the added " If Queensland is the SMART state they should follow suite"
Obviously..... I have not had a reply for two months.

Dino

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:41 am Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My response to my MP's BS answer......

"Dear Carolyn,

It is very obvious, reading both your and the Transport Ministers response, that the current administration has no grasp of the realities of the failure of the Conditional Registration system regarding quad bikes and UTV's.

Neither party has taken the time to understand the issues we are raising. I ask you to re-examine my correspondence to yourself regarding the issues raised before purporting to understand our concerns and suggesting that you will continue to advocate for me.

I have made specific notice that we understand how the system is supposed to work. And I also detailed the failure of it. Simply put,
in the current form, the Conditional Registration Scheme DOES NOT WORK. Neither Police nor Land/Road Managers are willing to sign off on access.

This actually discourages the legal use of these types of vehicles. The "Smart State" slogan is not working.......

It is very clear that we are concerned far more about safety than TMR. TMR's attitude is to simply defer responsibility to QPS and Land/Road Managers. When the scheme was bought in 2003, the use of off road vehicles was substantially less than currently. It is quite inadequate to today's needs. Safety issues are also deferred by TMR in the same way.

The access to the " number of safe and legal areas to ride trail bikes in SEQ" you referred to are private ride areas that do not require registration by the way. And a quad bike is fundamentally somewhat different machine to a trail bike. As are UTV's.

The information you have provided is of no use to our concerns. We have substantial documentation available that surpasses what has been belatedly provided. We already have examined the issue at great length and, as previously noted, fully comprehend what is required.

Please note that the current administration continue to fail to comprehend the actual use and application of this policy. It would appear that numerous other sitting members of parliament have simply cut and paste that response to the members of our statewide movement, which I should point out, is part of a national movement.

Such uninformed and lazy responses will only make us more determined to get a fair go.

Should you wish to discuss the matter constructively with me, I am happy to make myself available.

Dean Hunter."

Bonesf
50cc nipper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:06 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Our mate Bob could solve our problems:

End to Nanny State
"Australians must have the freedom to pursue outdoor recreational activities of their choice including hunting, shooting, fishing, boating, camping, 4-wheel driving, horse riding, rock climbing, and bushwalking without unnecessary limitations and restrictions.
Vacant land such as State Forest and some unallocated lands and seas now designated as "off-limits" are to be owned and accessible by the people. They are not the exclusive domain of the "Crown".
Government interference in people's lives must finish at the family fence or property boundary. Legislation overriding all other laws must provide that intrusion and interference upon that household can only occur where human health and life is in serious and immediate jeopardy".

Has this progressed any further?

Dino

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:58 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Bonesf wrote:
Our mate Bob could solve our problems:

End to Nanny State
"Australians must have the freedom to pursue outdoor recreational activities of their choice including hunting, shooting, fishing, boating, camping, 4-wheel driving, horse riding, rock climbing, and bushwalking without unnecessary limitations and restrictions.
Vacant land such as State Forest and some unallocated lands and seas now designated as "off-limits" are to be owned and accessible by the people. They are not the exclusive domain of the "Crown".
Government interference in people's lives must finish at the family fence or property boundary. Legislation overriding all other laws must provide that intrusion and interference upon that household can only occur where human health and life is in serious and immediate jeopardy".

Has this progressed any further?

Yes, heaps. There is another sticky that is titled "Queensland Trail Riders Please Read" which follows the tortured way of thinking of politicians who know nothing and "advisors" who should know something deal with grumpy old quad riders like me.
Basically the current standing is that :
We have the services of proffesional lobbyists.
TMR are in meltdown trying to deflect blame/avoid handing out the rego. DERM have a scheme in place that will need legislation to activate it.
The CORONERS OFFICE has passed down some recomendations.
The new Pollies are to have a meeting shortly to work out what it all means.
(The old pollies got bundled out at the last election.)
We are hoping to attend said meeting to pull up the "advisors" when they start BSing.

The following is still the same:
CONDITIONAL REGO DOES NOT WORK FOR RECREATIONAL PURPOSES>
AND PEOPLE ARE STILL RIDING UNDER THE RADAR BECAUSE OF THAT>
MA don't care and won't touch it.

StalkerIII
50cc nipper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:08 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Any updates with conditional rego and the for forestry now?

Dino

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:54 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

StalkerIII wrote:
Any updates with conditional rego and the for forestry now?

I'm waiting for updates from DERM, who need a change in registration legislation for it to work.
Several groups are waiting on the LNP to sit down at a table and get a grip on the issues which the same old tired advisors keep spinning crap about.
Everybody is waiting on TMR to even answer a phone!!!!
As soon as I hear I'll pass it on.

Dino

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:49 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

After many months of waiting, the Ministers Office has finally responded.
Whilst a comprehensive consideration was given, it would appear that a review is to be undertaken of the conditional registration system in Qld will be undertaken with a view to reducing red tape.

This at least means they are trying to get a handle on it. We will be participating in this review pointing out the abject failures of a system designed for "working equipment", added to ad hoc in a agenda driven, bum covering manner.

Simply put, the current system barely works for businesses, is hardly understood by most and fails dismally for individual recreation.

And to underline a very significant truth about what we are driving at:
We don't want PRIMARY ROAD ACCESS, merely red tape reduced legal areas to recreate in, with possible minor road access within these areas.

We would like to see a whole of Government approach to address the numerous issues facing the many different areas and users of quads and side by sides are left getting lumped with due to ineffective governance.

Dino

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:13 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

And one of our team just got this:

"Dr Mr Quad Rider.

Thank you for your email to the Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) about quad bike access.

Further access for quad bikes in areas outside of TMRís jurisdiction, such as in national parks or forests in Queensland, would require consideration from the Department of National Parks, Recreation, Sport and Racing (NPRSR).

To ensure quad bike riders are afforded the most efficient process in attaining conditional registration, the granting of permits and gaining access to national parks, TMR will approach NPRSR and discuss ways to make the process for obtaining permits from them as effective as possible.

Thanks for raising this issue and I hope the above information is of assistance.

Kind regards,

Ana Halesworth
Transport Policy Officer | Transport Regulation
Customer Services, Safety and Regulation Division | Department of Transport and Main Roads"

Dino

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:46 am Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Due to our continuing campaign, which has highlighted many issues, the Premiers office has ordered a review into the "red tape" of the conditional registration system in Qld by TMR.

Dino

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:39 am Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've just recieved another official response from DTMR about recent changes to the conditional registration scheme.
So, as things currently stand, the below makes it pretty clear:

"Dear Mr Hunter

Thank you for your email of 29 May 2013 to Mr ***** ***** Chief of Staff, about the registration requirements for quad bikes. Mr ***** has asked that the department respond on his behalf.

As you are aware, the Department of Transport and Main Roads has streamlined the administrative processes for granting conditional registration to riders of quad bikes. From 1 June 2013 a person can now apply for and be granted conditional registration to participate in recreational activities or an event without having to provide any evidence of holding an authorisation issued by any authority.

However, once a vehicle has conditional registration, you will still be required to obtain authorisation from the land and or/road owner where the vehicle is intended to be used prior to operation. Further, a police permit is required if the vehicle is restricted to operating on a designated route.

I hope this clarifies your question, if you require further information, please call me."

We will continue to fight for a fairer go.

Post new topic Reply to topic OZ ATV :: The Australian ATV Forum Forum Index -> QLD ATV Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: